UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
ONLINE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS
TEACHING ASSISTANTS FOR SIGNATURE MODULES
UNISA is the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting applications for services as Online Teaching Assistants on an independent contract basis.
As an Independent Contractor you will:
• Minimum of an Masters ‘ degree in the subject that you would like to tutor’ or a PhD degree in Accounting Sciences
• Added Advantage
• Registration with a Professional Body (such as SAICA, CIMA, CIA).
• Not be regarded as an employee
• Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical, office space, equipment, leave (including sick leave), etc in terms of the UNISA’s conditions of service.
• Provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own internet access and any other office-related equipment.
• Not be based at a Unisa campus or any location linked to the University
• Work on your own time in completing teaching tasks online for a minimum of 20 hours a week (e.g. marking of assignments, interacting with students on discussion forums, sending emails, etc). These hours should be spread over most days of the week.
Teaching Assistants (TAs) will have the following duties:
1. Dedicate a minimum of 20 hours per week to perform specific TA tasks
2. Familiarise yourself online with the subject content of the course
3. Review and give feedback regarding the online study content and all assessments at the start, during and the end of the semester
4. Familiarise yourself with the pedagogical approach followed to teach this online course, including by attending the required online training on teaching online and module specific content and assessments provided by Unisa
5. Actively engage and contribute on the TA support site, by performing tasks allocated by lecturers and by assisting fellow TAs who are struggling
6. Actively mentor one or more new TAs to ensure they meet performance standards
7. Contribute new ideas, draft content or assessment questions, and podcasts at the request of lecturers
8. Actively facilitate, support and guide student online learning for approximately 250 assigned students
9. Facilitate subject-related student online discussion forums, per instructions of lecturers
10. Participate in online grading of students, moderation of marking by a fellow TA, perform quality assurance on all grading, perform and review related marking reports
11. Provide personalised feedback to students about the reasons for losing marks
12. Respond within 24 to 48 hours in a professional manner to student queries using the University platform
13. Interact frequently online with the lead lecturer as directed
14. Fulfil online ad-hoc and administrative tasks related to the TA role, e.g., marking spreadsheets, plagiarism reports, high risk student reports, etc.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
• Be available to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, spread over most days of the week
• Have ongoing access to the internet at own cost
• Have advanced computer skills, including of Microsoft Excel , Teams
• Be committed to meeting deadlines and have a passion for student-centred learning
• Have excellent communication skills and proficiency in English (all communication will be text based)
• Being a former Unisa student would be an advantage owing to operational knowledge of the myUnisa platform.
• Teaching experience will be an advantage
• Willingness to undergo compulsory myunisa training on various aspects of tutoring
Applicants are invited to apply for a Teaching Assistant position in the following College: COLLEGE OF ACCOUNTING SCIENCES (CAS)
The College specific appointment criteria are as follows:
COLLEGE OF ACCOUNTING SCIENCES: CAS1501 PERSPECTIVES ON ACCOUNTANCY
In this module, students are:
• Introduced to the roles of and principles applicable to accountancy professionals and the pervasive qualities and skills associated with such roles and principles;
• Guided towards an appreciation for the different principles and orientations of ethical behaviour in personal, business and professional accountancy contexts;
• Exposed to the fundamentals of fraud and corruption, including their attributes, impacts and motivators in accountancy contexts; and
• Exposed to the foundation for practising accountancy in an ethical and professionally competent manner.
To apply, you need to do the supply the following :
• Your application form below must be accompanied by a COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM VITAE and;
identity document (non-South African applicants may apply with: passport, work permit, permanent residence permit or proof of nationalisation if applicable. However prescribed policy processes will be followed for appointment) (certified copies within the previous six months);
all educational qualifications (certified copies within the previous six months);
academic transcripts/records (certified copies within the previous six months);
proof of SAQA verification for foreign qualifications (if applicable) (certified copies within the previous six months)
• UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
• The contact details of three contactable references must be provided.
• Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
• Unisa is not obliged to fill an advertised position
Email Documents to CAS-TA@unisa.ac.za
Assumption of duty: February 2024
Closing Date: 13 October 2023
Monthly Remuneration R16 292.80
General Enquiries: Ms Masegare Phaahla , Tel: (012) 429 8693
UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
UNISA reserves the right not to make an appointment and correspondence will be limited to short- listed
candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 4 months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.
Department - Vacancy -Closing date
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences E-Tutor 18 October 2023
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Face-to-Face Tutor 18 October 2023
College of Accounting Sciences E-Tutors 13 October 2023
College of Accounting Sciences Face-to-Face Tutors 13 October 2023
CLAW- Private Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Mercantile Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW-Public Constitutional and International Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU-Educational Foundations Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Criminology and Security Science Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU- Early Childhood Education Independent Contractor (External Markers)17 October 2023
CLAW-Police Practice Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Jurisprudence Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023.
CHS-Sociology Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU- Educational Foundations Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023.
College of Accounting Science Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW-Criminal and Procedural Law Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEMS-School of Public and Operations Management Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
College of Accounting Science Independent Contractors (Moderators) 17 October 2023
College of Economics and Management Sciences Regional Independent Contractors: Face to Face Tutor (Hybrid) 12 October 2023
African Languages Teaching Assistant 17 October 2023