Job Title Candidate Attorney
Location Johannesburg, ZA
Organization Name The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) , Faculty of Commerce, Law and Management.
The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is a leading human rights centre in the Wits Law School which undertakes research, strategic litigation, and public interest advocacy. CALS is looking for two candidate attorneys to join our team in January 2021 to work across the range of CALS’ programmes, which include, Business & Human Rights; Civil & Political Justice; Environmental Justice; Gender Justice; and Home, Land & Rural Democracy.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· An LLB or equivalent degree (completed by December 2020)
· A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice
· A strong interest in research as a component of lawyering
· Good oral and written communication skills in English
· Proficiency in other South African languages will be an advantage
· Proficiency in MS Office
· Assisting in strategic litigation cases
· Research in support of advocacy and litigation activities
· Conducting field research in communities
· Drafting pleadings and legal opinions
· Assisting in the drafting of research reports
· Providing input into draft policies and legislation
· Liaising with clients, counsel and partners
· Representing CALS in civil society forums
How To Apply
To apply please submit:
1. A covering letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position as well as the names and contact details of 2 referees;
2. A detailed CV;
3. An academic transcript; and
4. A writing sample of no longer than 5 pages.
Should you experience difficulties with the online application, please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we are looking for candidates who wish to pursue a career in social justice in particular rather than just securing articles. Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged population groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 16 October 2020.