UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
ONLINE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (E-TUTORS)
COLLEGE OF HUMAN SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
UNISA is the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting applications for services as Online Tutors (E-tutors) on an independent contract basis.
E-Tutors will have the following online duties:
1. Facilitate delivery of tutorials.
2. Manage students’ learning experiences.
3. Facilitate students’ interactions with their peers.
4. Provide students with academic and technical support.
To be considered as an E-tutor, you must meet the following requirements:
• Not be a Unisa Fixed Term or Permanent staff member.
• Ongoing access to Internet connection at your own cost.
• Minimum of an Honours Bachelor’s degree in the subject that you are applying for.
• Own copies of software packages that may be required for teaching e.g. Internet browsers, word processing etc.
• Advanced computer and Internet skills i.e. no training will be provided in using software packages, Internet sites or email.
• Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English (student communication will mostly be text based via myUnisa and discussion forums).
• Commitment to meeting deadlines and a passion for student-centered learning.
• Friendly, patient and sensitive to a diversity of students.
As an Independent Contractor you will:
• Not be regarded as an employee of Unisa.
• Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical aid, office space, equipment, leave (including sick leave), etc. in terms of UNISA’s conditions of service.
• Provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own Internet access and any other office-related equipment.
• Not be based at a Unisa campus or any location linked to the University.
• Work on your own time in completing teaching tasks online (e.g. interacting with students on discussion forums for a minimum of 6 hours a week not exceeding a maximum of 24 hours a month (spread over a few days per week) to a total of 75hrs per semester.
E-tutoring positions are available in the College of Human Sciences, School of Social Sciences in the following Departments:
• DVA1501 INTRODUCTION TO DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
• DVA1601 DEVELOPMENT PROBLEMS AND INSTITUTIONS
• DVA2601 PROJECTS AND PROGRAMMES AS INSTRUMENTS OF DEVELOPMENT
• DVA2602 COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AND THE BASIC NEEDS APPROACH
• DVA2603 URBAN DEVELOPMENT
• APC1502 THE POLITICS OF CONTEMPORARY AFRICA
• IPC1501 FUNDAMENTALS OF INTERNATIONAL POLITICS
• IPC1502 SOUTH AFRICA IN INTERNATIONAL POLITICS
• PLC1501 POLITICS AS SOCIAL ACTIVITY
• PLC1502 UNDERSTANDING THE STATE
• IPC2601 INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS
• IPC2602 INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL DYNAMICS
• APC2601 POLITICAL CHANGE IN CONTEMPORARY AFRICA
• APC2602 POLITICAL ECONOMY OF AFRICA
• PLC2601 UNDERSTANDING POLITICAL BEHAVIOUR AND PARTICIPATION
• PLC2602 POLITICS AND PUBLIC POLICY
• PSC2601 SOUTH AFRICAN POLITICS
• HSE2601 EDUCATION MANAGEMENT IN HEALTH SCIENCES
• HSE2602 TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT IN HEALTH SCIENCES
• HMA2601 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT IN HEALTH SERVICES
• HMA2602 LABOUR RELATIONS IN HEALTH SERVICES
• SOC2602 GLOBALISATION AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN SOUTH AFRICA
• SOC2604 SOCIOLOGY OF FAMILIES AND SOCIAL PROBLEMS
• RSC2601 RESEARCH IN SOCIAL SCIENCES
To apply, you need to do the following:
1) Complete the form below
2) Attach scanned certified copies of the following documents:
• certified copy (within the previous six months) of highest educational qualification.
• certified copy (within the previous six months) of academic transcript.
• certified copy (within the previous six months) of your identity document/passport.
• certified copy (within the previous six months) of your valid permit (foreign applicants).
• certified copy (within the previous six months) of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications (if applicable) and;
3) a comprehensive curriculum vitae Gross Remuneration: R7736.62 per month
Assumption of duty: Recommended tutors will have to undergo online training. Contracting will only be finalised and activated after the successful completion of online training, and allocation of students to the e-tutor. Allocation of students to e-tutors only occurs during the tuition period of fifteen (15) weeks per semester for all semester modules and thirty (30) weeks for year modules.
Closing Date: 13 November 2020
General Enquiries: RK Mashishi: Tel: (012) 429 4129/ CHStutorialsSocialSciences@unisa.ac.za
Applications should be emailed to CHStutorialsSocialScience@unisa.ac.za,
UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable legislation.
UNISA reserves the right not to make an appointment and correspondence will be limited to short- listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 4 months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.