UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
UNISA is a publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a
comprehensive, open and distance learning (ODeL) tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused
programmes, the University is inviting applications for positions in the COLLEGE OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT
To be considered for a position applicant must meet all the generic requirements plus the specific requirements as stated
per position. If found suitable for appointment, Unisa may offer an applicant a position at a level other than the level that
was applied for. Furthermore, Unisa reserves the right to offer the applicant a contract appointment.
All applicants to attach a teaching statement (max 2 000 words) to their application as specified in one of the following options:
Option A: External applicants and internal applicants (from non-academic positions) – Describe how you intend to approach teaching and learning by taking into account the information in the policies listed below:
• Unisa’s Tuition Policy
• Unisa’s Open Distance Learning Policy
• Unisa’s Assessment Policy
• Curriculum Policy
• Open Distance Learning (ODL) Pedagogy
The above mentioned Policies of UNISA can be accessed on the web using a search engine. In the event that you cannot trace the ODL Pedagogy policy finalise your teaching statement without it.
Option B: Internal applicants (from academic positions) –
• Involvement in, or approach to, Open Distance Learning
• Approach to fostering a learner-centered approach
• Involvement in, or approach to, teaching at either undergraduate or postgraduate level
• Involvement in developing study material as an individual or in a team approach
• The extent to which you have, or would, use an electronic learning platform for teaching
• Your pass success rates in the courses you teach/taught and your plan to increase or maintain these rates
• A peer and student evaluation of your teaching
• Your involvement in and provision of learner support to students
The teaching statement must be supported by a portfolio of evidence which may be requested from short listed candidates at the interview.
Candidates are expected to submit a research reflection or portfolio
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ACADEMIC POSITIONS (LEVELS) OPEN THE LINK OF THE POSITION YOU WHISH TO APPLY FOR:
Senior Lecturer (x2) (Ref: CEMS/DS/BM/SL/11-2020)
Post specific minimum requirements for Senior Lecturer:
• A Master’s degree at NQF level 9 in Financial Mathematics, Operations Research, Quantitative Management or closely related subject (e.g Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science) A Doctoral degree at NQF level 10 will be an advantage
• Must be registered and have made significant progress in PhD studies (attach letter from supervisor on progress)
• At least 2 (two) years teaching/work experience in one or more of these fields
Lecturer (x3) (Ref: CEMS/DS/BM/L/11-2020)
Post specific requirements for Lecturer:
• A Master's degree at NQF level 9 in Financial Mathematics, Operations Research, Quantitative Management or closely related subject (e.g Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Data Science)
• At least 1 (one) year teaching/work experience in one or more of these fields Recommendations for Senior Lecturer/Lecturer:
• Teaching experience in an ODeL environment
• A broad but practical view of the mathematical decision sciences
• Completed an assessor training program
• Any evidence of student or peer evaluation from previous institution(s)
• An excellent command of written and spoken English
• Knowledge of other South African languages and the ability to provide tuition in the language(s)
• Good ICT skills, including the ability to use LaTeX to typeset study material and research papers
Junior Lecturer (x1) (Ref: CEMS/DS/BM/JL/11-2020)
Post specific requirements for Junior Lecturer:
• A Bachelor Honours degree at NQF level 8 in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Quantitative Management, Mathematical Statistics, Financial Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Data Science or closely related subject.
• Must be able to respond adequately to the teaching and learning aspects
• Must indicate an intension to register for a Master’s degree
• Registration for a relevant Master’s degree will be an added advantage
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Skills in networking with other institutions
• Knowledge of the theory and practice of ODeL and technology-enhanced learning
Salary : Remuneration is commensurate with the seniority of the position
Assumption of duty : As soon as possible
Enquiries : Ms B Mocumi (Tel. 012 429 2582)/ Ms ME Maluleka (Tel. 012 429 4820)
Closing Date : 11 December 2020
The completed form must be accompanied by a COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM VITAE and;
▪ identity document (including passport, work permit, permanent residence permit or proof of naturalization if applicable) (certified copies within the previous six months);
▪ all educational qualifications (certified copies within the previous six months);
▪ academic transcripts/records (certified copies within the previous six months);
▪ proof of SAQA verification for foreign qualifications (if applicable) (certified copies within the previous six months)
▪ for ACADEMIC POSITIONS a teaching statement (refer to page 1 of advertisement).
• UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
• The contact details of three contactable references must be provided, one of which must be from your present employer excluding your current line manager if you are an internal Unisa applicant
• Unisa is not obliged to fill an advertised position
• Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable legislation
• We welcome applications from persons with disabilities
• Applications must be emailed to CEMS1PA@unisa.ac.za
• Applications sent to the incorrect email address will not be considered.
• Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within two months after closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.