4X ROBBEN ISLAND EX-POLITICAL PRISONERS RESEARCH FIELD WORKERS (EASTERN AND WESTERN CAPE RECORDINGS)
TOTAL COST TO COMPANY: R14, 135, 80 pm
4 MONTHS CONTRACT
The above short-term positions exist in the Heritage and Research Department at Robben Island Museum. Field Workers will assist RIM on its ongoing interview recordings project of life history of all the Ex-Political Prisoners (EPPs) that were incarcerated at Robben Island. This project will only focus in the Eastern Cape and Western Cape Province.
• Travel and at all times be with a service provider contracted to conduct life history interviews during data collection sessions
in Eastern Cape (covering only Nelson Mandela Bay, Buffalo City and Sarah Baartman municipal areas) and Western Cape
• Attend compulsory training sessions/workshops to be offered by RIM in Cape Town;
• Attend and contribute to project inception, progress and ad hoc meetings pertaining the Western Cape and Eastern Cape life history recording
• As a field worker, politely and meaningfully address all questions from the interviewees about the project and RIM’s mandate and current
• Work with the Service Provider to ensure that all EPPs in the Western Cape and Eastern Cape province are interviewed and RIM targets are
• Assist with identification of EPPs and their families that are eligible for interviews within the province;
• Link RIM and the Service Provider to the EPP and/or EPP family to be interviewed;
• Ensure a conducive and healthy atmosphere during interview session;
• As a field worker, outline the benefits of the interview project in relations to the EPPA and RIM as World Heritage Site to each EPP and/or
EPP family to be interviewed;
• Educate all EPPs about RIM as World Heritage Site, its heritage programmes, and benefits that exists within RIM and other State
Departments i.e. Department of Military Veterans;
• Market RIM through educating EPPs and their families on the mandate of RIM and its heritage programmes;
• Generate and submit monthly reports to the Supervisor in Cape Town.
• Able to conduct any other duties that are aimed at benefiting RIM and EPPs within the province i.e. attend meeting to talk about RIM heritage
programmes, distribute resource materials to EPPs.
• Be Robben Island Ex-Political Prisoner (with verifiable Prison Number);
• Fluent in isi- Xhosa and English;
• Born and raised in the Eastern Cape (mainly from the above three identified municipal areas) and Western Cape
• Excellent knowledge of the terrain throughout the Eastern Cape (only the three identified municipal areas) and Western Cape
• Be unemployed.
• Willingness to engage with former Prisoners or their family dependants who may be of a different political persuasion;
• Willingness to dress in the provided RIM branded attire;
• Willingness to travel to RIM for the inception meeting and 1 month of orientation training on the core values of RIM and the Memorialisation
• Willingness to work long hours and weekends;
RIM is an EE, AA, employer, RIM reserves the right not to make an appointment if suitable candidates are not found. Forward a detailed cv,
accompanied by certified copies of your ID and qualification certificates as well as contactable referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 3 June 2022.
Note : If you do not hear from us within 30 days, please consider your application unsuccessful. Please note your attachment should not exceed 10 MB