Postgraduate Research Fellow(12 Months contract)
School of Pathology - QPATH
Type: Permanent ☐ Fixed Term ☒ Temporary ☐
Main purpose of the job: To develop expertise in transplant pathology.
Location: Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital
Closing date: 31 October 2023
Advert reference number: Postgraduate Research Fellow
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the University of the Witwatersrand.
The Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates. Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the
closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful.
Key performance areas
▪ Support the Wits transplant programme.
▪ Manage the after-hours transplant cases, including donor liver/renal biopsies and post-transplant follow-up biopsies including rejection, post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorders, infections.
▪ Teach registrars in transplant pathology and participate in registrar mentorship programme.
▪ Participate in administrative duties related to teaching and support the undergraduate teaching programme with lectures, practicals/tutorials, examinations.
▪ Attendance of all relevant MDT meetings, including M&M, quality assurance programmes.
▪ General paediatric and adult liver pathology, to include congenital and acquired liver diseases requiring organ transplantation.
▪ Assessment of donor suitability.
▪ Complications related to recipient organ including recognition of mechanical failure, rejection and the grading thereof, infections related to immune suppression, drug toxicity, post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorders.
▪ Long term assessment of recipient liver biopsies months and years from transplantation.
▪ Cut-up of explanted organs.
▪ Reporting of surgical biopsy samples and liver resections pertaining to transplant work and liver/ gastro-intestinal disease in general.
Required minimum education and training
MMed, FCPath (SA) Anat or equivalent
Professional body registration
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
▪ Must be a team player.
▪ Must be a well – organized individual.
▪ Must be able to pay attention to detail.
▪ Good time management skills and must always meet deadlines.
▪ Must be computer literate.
Desirable work experience
Experience in transplant pathology, renal pathology, gastro – intestinal pathology will be an added advantage.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to email@example.com . The
subject heading of the email must read Postgraduate Research Fellow Please include the following documentation:
• A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
• A detailed CV
In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from
designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.