INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (EXTERNAL MARKERS)
SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AND OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
COLLEGE OF ECONOMIC AND MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
Assessment is an integral part of curriculum development as outlined in the Curriculum Policy. During curriculum development, an assessment strategy is developed that is aligned to the ODeL
Policy and strategy of UNISA. Assessment can have different focuses, namely to:
• improve the quality of students’ learning experiences by focusing on significant knowledge, skills, attitudes and values, and providing motivation to work through the material through
tasks and feedback, known as assessment for learning.
• b) focus on the ability to transfer knowledge to new contexts and to apply knowledge in specific contexts in line with the NQF level descriptors and other taxonomies of learning.
• c) focus on programmatic and graduate attributes and critical cross-field outcomes in assessment of learning.
• d) make academic judgements related to diagnostics, placements competence, progression and/or qualification completion; and as a feedback mechanism to improve curricula, known
as assessment of learning; and to
• e) create opportunities for students to engage with the content, with their context, with the lecturer and with fellow students (Unisa Assessment Policy, 2011).
The Department of Educational Foundations is inviting suitable applicants for providing assessment services to be appointed as independent contractors (markers) on a yearly basis. The
purpose of this positions is to appoint competent and suitable candidates to complete and execute assessment task professionally and ethically align to the Assessment Policy and Guidelines.
Requirements: Applied Management
• Applicable and relevant equivalent to NQF level 9 (MEd/MPhil/MTech/MEd OR NQF level 10 (e.g. Ph.D/DEd/DPhil/DTech) Specialization in Tourism /Tourism Management
• At least 3-years teaching experience (primary or secondary) or relevant experience in the education field (TVET College /University)
Requirements: Public Administration and Management
• Any relevant Masters (NQF 9 qualification) or Doctoral Degree (NQF 10 qualification) including modules in Public Administration, with an average of 60%.
• At least 5-years teaching experience in Public Administration or relevant experience in the discipline Public Administration.
• Complete and execute assessment task professionally
• Comply and adhere to all Unisa tuition, assessment and examination and plagiarism policies and guidelines
• Act in the ethical and professional manner dealing with all assessment tasks
• Execute duties as stipulated in contract and task agreement
• Marking of assessment tasks fairly and consistently
• Meet deadlines of allocated assessment task
• Attend markers meeting and submit marking reports timeously
• Maintain confidentiality of all assessment tasks
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Basic knowledge of the discipline applying for
• Basic knowledge of assessment and assessment practices
• Basic knowledge of marking and procedures
• Basic knowledge of constructive feedback on assessment tasks
• Basic knowledge of academic dishonesty and plagiarism
• Knowledge of teamwork/leadership skills
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
• Must be honest / ethical and show empathy when required to mark assessment tasks
• Must have good problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Must be service orientated (Actively looking for ways to help and support lecturer or students)
• Must have good time management skills
• Ability to resolve conflict and maintain confidentiality of all assessment tasks
• Ability to work under pressure with adherence to deadlines
• Computer and Internet skills
• Have own desktop computer or laptop and internet connectivity (no computers or data bundles will be provided)
• Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English
• Digital literacy skills – competent in ICT and online learning environments
• Experience in online marking tools or software or LMS (Moodle will be an advantage)
• Commitment to marking and meeting deadlines for all assessments
• Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diversity of students
To apply please fill the application form by clicking this link https://forms.office.com/r/MTiUFNYK1u and submit the following documents via e-mail.
1) An application letter indicating willingness to mark assignments and/or exam scripts for any of the modules listed below.
2) Comprehensive UPDATED and signed curriculum vitae (most recent)
3) Only a certified copy of the HIGHEST qualification as per requirement
4) Certified copy of ID/Passport and valid visa
Please write the module code of the module you are applying for on the subject line of the e-mail.
Note: The required documents should be submitted as a single file (one PDF) to the email provided below.
Email the supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and write the module code as a subject.
Assumption of duty: The candidates will have to undergo an interview (either face-to-face or Microsoft Teams) and online Moodle training sessions. Completion of the prescribed training on various aspects of Marking on the Moodle platform is compulsory.
Closing date: 17 October 2023
Independent Contractor (MARKER) positions are available in the modules listed in the Departments
Department - Vacancy -Closing date
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences E-Tutor 18 October 2023
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Face-to-Face Tutor 18 October 2023
College of Accounting Sciences E-Tutors 13 October 2023
College of Accounting Sciences Face-to-Face Tutors 13 October 2023
CLAW- Private Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Mercantile Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW-Public Constitutional and International Law Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU-Educational Foundations Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Criminology and Security Science Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU- Early Childhood Education Independent Contractor (External Markers)17 October 2023
CLAW-Police Practice Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW- Jurisprudence Independent Contractor (External Markers) 17 October 2023.
CHS-Sociology Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEDU- Educational Foundations Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023.
College of Accounting Science Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CLAW-Criminal and Procedural Law Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
CEMS-School of Public and Operations Management Independent Contractors (External Markers) 17 October 2023
College of Accounting Science Independent Contractors (Moderators) 17 October 2023
College of Economics and Management Sciences Regional Independent Contractors: Face to Face Tutor (Hybrid) 12 October 2023
African Languages Teaching Assistant 17 October 2023
College of Accounting Sciences Teaching Assistants 13 October 2023