The National Library of South Africa wishes to make the following appointments at its Cape Town and Pretoria Campuses
Trainee Librarians (50 in Cape Town and 50 in Pretoria)
4-month Fixed Term contract
Reference Number: Pretoria - 05/01/2021
Reference Number: Cape Town - 06/01/2022
Stipend: R 5 700.00 per month
The objectives of the National Library of South Africa (NLSA) are to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources.
The NLSA invites applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment on 4-month Fixed Term contracts. The successful candidates will be based at the Cape Town (50 GRAP Trainee Librarians) and Pretoria Campuses (50 GRAP Trainee Librarians) respectively. Due to the timeframes of the project, all Interns will be expected to work a six-day week (Monday to Saturday).
• NQF level 6 qualification in Library and Information Science or equivalent
• A minimum of 6 months experience in a similar project will be an added advantage
• Barcoding, tattle tapping of library materials
• Shelving and shelf reading
• Quality control catalogued books and check that the barcoding and tattle taping processes were followed
• Physical verification of library material
• Quality control library material by physically verifying and investigating all library material not verified based on data on WMS
• Clearing of exceptions emanating from the physical verification
• Catalogue books on WMS system
• Keep the stack room tidy
• Keep records of work done
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Ability to work well with others and communicate effectively with internal staff at all levels
• Ability to work independently and deliver work within agreed timeframes
• Effective problem-solving skills
• Excellent proficiency in a Windows environment and other Office applications
• Knowledge of an Integrated Library Management System
• High accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability and willingness to learn new skills
• Ability to work successfully under sustained pressure
• Sound judgement and the ability to solve problems
• The ability to creatively and positively respond to challenges
The National Library of South Africa is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and reserves the right not to make an appointment. Appointments will be made according to our Employment Equity requirements. We encourage applications from people living with disabilities in particular. Prospective candidates will be subjected to background verification which include qualification verification, criminal record checks, identity checks, previous employment history and reference checks.
Applications: Interested applicants must submit a completed prescribed application form obtainable from our website on www.nlsa.ac.za accompanied by a Curriculum Vitae; certified copies of qualifications, Grade 12 / Matric certificate, and Identity Document, not older than six months; and proof of COVID-19 vaccination by email to: Pretoria: email@example.com or Cape Town: firstname.lastname@example.org Kindly ensure that you quote the reference number and the position in the subject line of your email.
Please note that if you do not adhere to the above application requirements, your application will be disqualified.
CLOSING DATE: 28 January 2022
Should you not receive any correspondence / communication from the NLSA one month after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.