ADVERTISEMENT FOR REGISTRATION STAFF
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the following election related temporary positions in the administration of the Electoral Commission, a state institution established by Chapter 9 of the Constitution.
REGISTRATION STAFF (various positions of supervisor and officer)
Closing date: 30 June 2023
(Inclusive remuneration package ranging from R1,370 to R1,580 subject to statutory deductions and days engaged/trained)
Job Purpose: To contribute towards strengthening electoral democracy processes by assisting in coordinating and implementing the registration of voters and related programmes of the Electoral Commission at voting station level.
1. Must be a South African citizen.
2. Must be a registered voter
3. Must have at least five years professional, supervisory or administrative work experience or previous Presiding or Deputy Presiding Officer experience
4. In the last five years must not have held political office or been a candidate in an election or have been politically active for a political party or campaigning for a political party [appearing on the candidate list of any political party for the local governments will result in immediate termination of appointment]
5. In the last five years must not have been elected to office in an organisation that has party political affiliations or aims
6. Must not have been convicted of serious criminal offence(s)
7. As far as possibly must have some form of training or further education
8. Must have access to a mobile telephone
9. Must have ability to operate smartphone technology
10. Must be proficient in the relevant local languages of the municipality
11. Must have a valid bank account
1. Must demonstrate proven ability to work well under pressure and meet tight and demanding deadlines
2. Must demonstrate tact and good people skills in dealing with people from a wide range of backgrounds
3. Must be willing to do on-line modular training and meet the assessment criteria prior to consideration for appointment
4. Must be willing to undergo and attend face-to-face training
5. Must demonstrate professionalism and impartiality at all times
Some of the responsibilities of the job (subject to position appointed to):
1. Supervise the voting station and all related registration activities
2. Conduct or assist with collection of addresses
3. Conduct or assist with completion of forms
4. Conduct or assist with operation of the Voter Management Device (VMD)
5. Tidy or assist with tidying the voting station before and after voting Sign or oversee the signing of attendance register as confirmation of attendance
6. Conduct yourself in a professional and impartial manner
7. Safeguard IEC materials
8. Conduct or assist with queue management at the voting station
9. Prioritize voters with special needs
10. Conduct or assist with roll-back related tasks
The above position is a temporary contract position, requiring a person to work over a weekend. You are also required to attend at least two day’s training prior to the registration event, as well as participate in a device and systems testing day. The Electoral Commission will only correspond with successful candidates and is under no obligation to fill the positions after advertising it. Although advertised, it may be withdrawn or re-advertised. Applicants should under no circumstances have a high party political profile. Applications must upload a recent, updated comprehensive curriculum vitae as well as certified copies of qualifications, recent bank statement, SARS tax number and identity document. Please note that recommended candidates will undergo Party Liaison Committee (PLC) verification prior to confirmation of appointment.
Please take note that no applications received after the advertised closing date will be considered.
Applicants for the above position/s should not have a high party political profile.
All successful permanent candidates will be required to enter into performance contracts.
Should applicants be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
All applications must include:
updated comprehensive curriculum vitae;
a copy of all qualification documents;
a copy of identity document; and
a copy of driver's license (if required).
Failure to submit the requested documents will result in the application not being considered.
Please note that recommended candidates will undergo risk assessments, including inter alia the verification of curricula vitae, all qualifications, criminal and credit assessments and appointments will only be made upon positive verification thereof.
A probation period of twelve months will be applicable to permanent employees.
The Electoral Commission will only correspond with short-listed candidates.
The Electoral Commission is under no obligation to fill the position/s and reserves the right not to make any appointment in the above post/s. Although advertised, positions may thus either be withdrawn, re-advertised or filled by way of transfer or deployment, should it be considered in the interest of service delivery.