Operating Division : TPT Cape Town CT
Position Title : Electrician
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Engineering
Location : Cape Town
Reporting To : Senior Engineering Manager
Grade Level : I3
Reference Number : 203500
To provide a professional, efficient, economical,& reliable technical service by repairing & maintaining All High Voltage
equipment, ship loading/ off-loading machines, maintain sub stations, maintain buildings, Low Voltage Electrical equipment &
electronic control systems to meet the Port’s requirements.
1. Perform High Voltage Switching, Taking of H.T Permits & testing for the purpose of safe maintenance & repairs of ship loading & off-loading, E.L&P &external contractors ensuring optimum reliable, economical & safe High Voltage power distribution network for a 24 hour continuous electrical supply to the Port & equipment.
2. To carry out all general & SAP maintenance, repairs & modifications to ship loading & off- loading, plant & equipment in accordance with the Health & Safety Act ensuring high standards ars maintained.
3. To analyse & evaluate the nature & cause of breakdowns & perform repairs & determining the optimum way of dealing with
the problem to achieve a quality & cost effective solution & enhancing operational availability of equipment & minimize down-time.
4. To have a basis knowledge of Mechanical procedures to repair breakdowns in conjunction with Millwrights/Examiners.
5 Conduct post operation Electrical inspection on all Port Electrical equipment & keep records. to prevent re occurrence of faults.
6.Faultfinding on a 24hr basis on PLC’s, AC+DC Electrical motors, Electrical +Hydraulic systems, compressors, dalmatics,
scales, repairs to portable tools, Multicore, & Fibre Optic cables & all associated electrical equipment pertaining to P ort, to ensure efficient operations & minimize downtime.
7.To carry out inspections of D.B boards, testing of earth, leakages & plugs. Carry out repairs & inspections on portable electrical tools. Records & file equipment conditions & faults.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Red Seal Electrical Trade Test Certificate
• Valid Code 08/B vehicle drivers licence
• 1 Year relevant experience in the Electrical engineering environment (Apprenticeship training included and for Internal candidates)
• 2-3 Years relevant experience in the Electrical engineering environment (for external candidates)
• Programmable Logic Control (PLC)
• AC/DC Drives
• HT equipment
• Lifting equipment
• AC/DC motors
• Fault-finding skills
• Safe working practices(OHS Act)
• Schematics drawing interpretation
• Code of practice (SANS0142 – Wireman)
• SAP, PLC & drives course
• Transnet H.V electrical safety instructions (internal candidates)
• Communication skills
• Decision making
• Quality driven
• No fear of heights
• Technological awareness
The closing date is on 09.11.2023. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.