The Agricultural Research Council (ARC) is a premier science institution that conducts research with partners, develops human capital and foster innovation in support of the agricultural sector. It provides diagnostic, laboratory, analytical, agricultural engineering services, post-harvest technology development, agrochemical evaluation, consultation and advisory services, food processing technology services as well as various surveys and training interventions. Through its wider network of research institutes and experimental farms, the ARC provides a strong scientific base and a broadly distributed technology transfer capacity to the entire agricultural industry in South Africa.
The ARC-Animal Production (ARC-AP) seeks to appoint a highly skilled, experienced and dynamic person to the following position at Irene, Pretoria:
INTERNSHIPS X30: KAONAFATSO YA DIKGOMO - BEEF RECORDING AND IMPROVEMENT SCHEME POSITIONS (TO BE PLACED IN ALL 9 PROVINCES) (1-YEAR CONTRACT)
Key Performance Areas:
• Provide animal recording and improvement services to smallholder farmers,
• Participate in the training and recruitment of farmers and teams in Kaonafatso ya Dikgomo Beef Recording and Improvement Scheme,
• Visit farmers for beef recording and improvement purposes,
• Train new participants in different phases of beef schemes,
• Participate in focus sessions/meetings with farmers’ teams/individuals,
• Collecting information from all possible sources to compile a database of current herd statistics and performance of livestock owned by resourced poor farmers to derive performance indicators,
• Participate in the provincial farmer support team to implement the project,
• Compile monthly reports.
• A National Diploma in Animal Production,
• Motivated and prepared to travel to farms and villages,
• Good human relations,
• Good communication skills written and verbal.
NB: Applicants must indicate their preferred province.
Enquiries: Dr DM Motiang Tel, (012) 672 9147
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 10 MARCH 2021
A competitive remuneration package will be congruent with the scope, responsibilities and the stature of the position. The appointment will be subject to a positive security clearance and preference will be given to South African citizens.
Applications accompanied by covering letter, detailed CV (Including certificates, supporting documents, copy of driver’s license and nationality. NB: Non-RSA Citizens/work permit holders must attach certified copies) as well as the names and particulars of three (3) traceable referees must be e-mail to APICV@arc.agric.za
SAQA evaluation report must accompany foreign qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who do not receive any response four (4) weeks after the closing date must regard their applications as unsuccessful. The Agricultural Research Council is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles and processes of Employment Equity. The company has the right not to appoint.